The Indian Power Industry is one of the largest and most important industries in India. The three major pillars of power sector are Generation, Transmission, and Distribution.
Power is generated by State utilities, Central utilities and/or Private players from various sources like thermal, hydroelectric, nuclear and other alternate renewable sources like solar, wind, biomass etc.
The transmission of power in India is handled entirely by Public Sector Units namely the State Electricity Boards and the Power Grid Corporation of India.
Indian Power Distribution Utilities is facing the mounting debts to the tune of over 2.6 lakh crore. This is primarily due to high accumulated AT&C losses (nearly 35%) and inadequately maintained distribution network of the State Utilities. Hence, loss reduction in Indian Utilities is being driven at all levels in Central, State Discom and Private.
As a way forward to improve the situation of Power Distribution in India, various reforms like R-APDRP, ISGTF, etc. has been tried and implemented which are in different stages of execution. The Government is also taking efforts to make way for private players participating in the distribution sector in different reforms as Multi Licensing model, Outsourcing Activities, Full Privatization, Franchisee Models, etc.
Various experts are of the opinion that in the coming years, the Distribution Franchisee model is expected to grow manifold, thereby improving the power distribution scenario of the country. Power Distribution Franchisee as an evolving Public Private Partnership (PPP) model has picked traction since 2009 after successful demonstration by Torrent Power Ltd. at Bhiwandi, Maharashtra, which got operational in 2007. The model has grown gradually in the last 5 years, across few states; with potential new states had proposed to adopt the franchisee model in coming years.
pManifold’s service offerings in power utility and renewable sources:
- Market Intelligence and Business Research
- Utilities and Policy makers perspective on Distribution Franchisee
- Customer Satisfaction survey for Utilities
- Distribution Franchisee scale-up & advocacy
- Utility Vendor Database & Solutions/Services grading
- Bid & Entry Strategy
- Financial Modeling & Bid Recommendation
- Distribution Franchisee Site Survey, Asset Health Maps, Intelligence & Analytics
- Utility Performance Audit & Monitoring
- Technical Due Diligence
- Acquisitions & Partnership Development
- Vendor Sourcing
- Operational Consulting
- Transaction Advisory
- Thought Leadership in Distribution Franchisee – Outreach, Extension & Networking
- Conferences/ Workshops
- Utility and Distribution Franchisee stakeholder engagement initiatives
- In-Company Training
The Solar Industry has witnessed rapid growth over the past few years and is projected to grow further in future [...]