Utility Monitoring and Power Distribution Franchisee: Enhancing SEB’s Performance @ IIES 2011
pManifold as Knowledge Partner to IIES 2011 organized a workshop on ‘Utility Monitoring & Distribution Power Franchise – Enhancing SEB’s Performance’. The workshop was co-chaired with domain experts Mr. Murhari Kele, Supt. Engg. MSEDCL, Nagpur and Mr. Prabhakar Kukde, Ex-Direcor, Tata Power.
Speakers who participated in this workshop:
- Rahul Bagdia – Director, pManifold Business Solutions
- Murhari Kele – Supt. Engg. MSEDCL, Nagpur
- H.R. Venkatesh – Head Marketing, PRDC
- Prasad Sutaone – DGM, GTL Ltd.
- Y.S. Butola – AGM, NDPL
- Hemant Diddee – Founder, Heta Datain
- Pratap Dhumale- Project Coordinator, L&T
- Kamal Maheshwari – VP, SPANCO Ltd.
- Status quo and impact of DF
- Issues w/ DF – Utilities perspective
- KPIs of Utility’s Performance
- Techno-business Parameterization of DF (Bidders perspective)
- Best practices in DF Implementation – Techno/Commercial
- Best practices in DF Implementation – HR/soft issues
- Real-Time Monitoring of Utility sub-station
- Diagnostics & Prognostics in Distribution Monitoring
- R-APDRP implementation – IT, Automation, AMI
- ERP/IT Integration – Smart Grid Road Map
The workshop spanned following discussions with relevant stakeholders (utility – MSEDCL, NDPL; Distribution franchisees – GTL, SPANCO; policy makers, bidders, consultants, vendors, media and others) with practical sharing of case studies of implementation in Nagpur, Bhiwandi and Aurangabad:
- Value chain and impact of Distribution Power Franchisee – stakeholders, business opportunities, market size
- Stakeholders alignment issues for Utility’s and Distribution Franchisee’s performance
- Issues to be solved for scale-up of Distribution Franchisee
- Perspective of Utility / DISCOM towards Distribution Franchisee
- Perspective of bidders – more rationale Distribution Franchisee bidding
- Best practices sharing in distribution through case studies – both technical and soft sides
- Real-time monitoring of distribution network
- R-APDRP integration – issues of capacity building, change management and stakeholder engagement to be resolved for true realization of utility’s enhanced performance
- IT road-map for Utilities in India – realistic smart grid vision
- Distribution Franchisee vs. full privatization of distribution vs. co-existence of utility + Franchisee
- Investment considerations for entry into Distribution Franchisee business – portfolio leverage, capex considerations, operational competencies etc.