India is the biggest 2W market in the world (FY 2018-19 =highest 2W sale of 21MM units). This boom is supported by an increase in purchase capacity, changed perception around mobility, a rising number of female riders & increased demand from the semi-urban area. E-commerce delivery using 2Ws has grown notably with players like Zomato, Swiggy and others. 2W rental/taxi services is another fast-rising segment with players like Ola Bike, Uber Moto, Bounce, Vogo, Yulu.
High electrification of mobility will further open the mass individual electric 2W segment in India. Strong economics of e-2W will be single most basis for the commercial fleet operator for the transition. The standalone fixed battery system in e-2Ws offer lower TCO compared to ICEs, but existing limited financing options make high initial cost barrier. Waiting time for charging and struggle for parking spaces are other challenges in adoption.
Battery swap model has seen success in the e-3W fleet application in India and the same can be extended to the e-2W commercial fleet. It offers the benefit of
- Lower upfront capex cost without battery
- No wait time for charging as charged batteries can be easily swapped at swapping station
- Better organization of lower cost and systematic charging at back-end bulk charging stations for best battery health
- Lower TCO than a fixed battery system
The OEMs will remarkably benefit from this fleet adoption as they can offer similar products like detachable battery system, separate battery financing etc. for high uptake in the individual segment.
The webinar has answered below questions:
- What is the economics of e-2W battery swap system Vs fixed battery system?
- What operational & business models for e-2W battery swap system in commercial fleet, & their pros-cons?
- How OEMs are gearing up to support fast-rising e-2W commercial fleet segment?
- How to pursue battery standardization & build right consensus in industry/policymakers?
- What innovations on battery swapping, analytics & commercial fleet management for high traceability & ROI?